The eight aims have been developed based on the opinions gathered during the engagement process and findings from the urban analysis. A group of interventions are planned to deliver against each of these aims.
1. INVESTMENT AND REGENERATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Showcase the development opportunities in the town centre, promote Hemel Hempstead to the investor market and secure social value outcomes.
- Work positively with the development sector to deliver high-quality buildings and spaces which meet the needs of existing and future communities.
- The Council will review assets in our gift to help support regeneration for our communities and work with partners to get the best outcome of other public sector interventions.
2. BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES IN THE TOWN CENTRE
- Develop a strategy to attract businesses and start-ups to the town centre, while supporting and retaining existing businesses.
- Repurpose development sites and buildings to provide business space as well as provide space for leisure and cultural activities.
- Generate social value outcomes, identify skills’ development opportunities to support education, skills and training.
3. HIGH-QUALITY,AFFORDABLE 3 AND SUSTAINABLE HOMES
- Ensure that developments deliver high-quality and sustainable homes, including ambitious design proposals, making the town centre an attractive place to live and visit.
- Sustainability and mixed and balanced communities should be at the heart of developments.
- Ensure that the space between buildings is well designed to avoid any unattractive and unused land.
4. SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT 4 SYSTEM
- Create an environment that better connects the Town Centre to other areas of Hemel Hempstead (the station, the emerging Hemel Garden Communities, Apsley, Maylands, etc.).
- Support active movement and enable healthy lifestyles and improved wellbeing.
- Improve the public transport network and linking the Town Centre to destinations in the wider area.
5. CLIMATE CHANGE & BIODIVERSITY
- Ensure that any interventions and actions address the climate and biodiversity challenges we are facing today and in the future.
- Enhance the biodiversity offer in the town centre to create a healthier environment as well as improve the connection between people and nature.
- Reduce waste and support a circular economy
6. CIVIC PRIDE IN HEMEL HEMPSTEAD
• Make the most of Hemel Hempstead Town Centre’s best assets through improved connections and curating space enabling people to fully enjoy and be proud.
• Promote the history of Hemel Hempstead and reconnect the Old Town with the New Town Centre.
• Promote Hemel Hempstead positively at all opportunities and break down any reputation challenges.
7. VIBRANT, ACCESSIBLE AND SAFE TOWN CENTRE
- Reinvigorate the town centre and create an evening economy by identifying opportunities for future investments. Provide new residential, community and employment opportunities.
- Develop the town centre so it is accessible to all, including people and communities from a range of diverse backgrounds, fostering community cohesion and celebrating diversity
- Make the Town Centre feel safer using creative changes.
8. CULTURAL AND LEISURE OFFER
- Develop Hemel Hempstead’s cultural offer through new spaces and activities and connect to neighbouring towns.
- Maximise the market offer in Hemel Hempstead and boost spaces for smaller and independent businesses, generating creative uses of vacant premises.
- Connect the parks, river and canal to the town centre offer, allowing people to spend leisure time close to nature and nurture their health and wellbeing.